Summertime Sangria

Chilled Sangria with white wine, mint, peaches and plums

One of life’s simple pleasures is sitting around on a nice warm summer evening with a few friends, sipping sangria from a pitcher.

We love playing around with different combinations of fruit and herbs in our potent blends. For this extremely simply crowd-pleaser, we sliced up some peaches and plums and tossed in some sprigs of mint from our brand new garden. Rather than use a traditional Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, we used a dry Riesling, which added some minerality and a bit of fizz to our sangria.

Peaches and plums for summer white wine sangria

Sangria with fresh fruit and riesling

If you want to recreate our refreshing blend, combine one bottle of white wine, two cups of white grape juice, one sliced peach, one sliced plum and one cup of fresh mint sprigs in a pitcher. Stir until everything looks beautiful and is mingling nicely, then refrigerate until chilled.

Over time, the mint infuses the sangria with a nice, cooling tingle to compliment the sweetness. The result is a sangria perfectly suited for a memory-making, relaxed evening outside. Be careful though—too many glasses and you may make a few memories your friends won’t let you forget this summer.

- Ryan

Riesling and mint white wine sangria

Mint and Riesling summertime sangria with peaches and plums

1. Freya
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:30:56

So I never thought I’d fall in love with sangria like I have!! I tried to make some the other day and I thin I put too MUCH alcohol in it! I added together:
    1 one-liter bottle of white wine
    1 bottle of Lambic Fromboise
    5 nips of Ruby Red Absolute/citron vodka
    Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and watermelon.

It tastes good but is really STRONG. I’m happy with it :)new Favorite summer drink!

2. Freya
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:30:56

1 one-liter bottle of white wine
    1 bottle of Lambic Fromboise
    5 nips of Ruby Red Absolute/citron vodka
    Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and watermelon.

3. Joy
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 03:46:10

This looks so yummy! Can’t wait to try this.

4. Dora Panariti
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 08:36:19

I love its transparency, that you can actually see all the beautiful fruits and herbs! That’s something I’ll definitely try!!!!

• Smith & Ratliff
      Jun 21, 2012 @ 14:38:41

Yes, it’s so pretty! I’m already thinking of other fruit that would look nice—pineapples and blueberries, maybe?

5. macaca grava-por-cima
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:36:06

Sangria is a very portuguese drink… We drink it all year, but specially in the summer! Try adding one or two cinnamon sticks to your delicious flavour combination ;-)

• Smith & Ratliff
      Jun 21, 2012 @ 14:37:14

That sounds delicious! We’ll definitely try that in the next batch. -LR

6. macaca grava-por-cima
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 10:59:50

another type of sangria witch is becoming popular in Portugal is the champagne sangria with blue and redberries. But the classic type of sangria is with red wine, soda, fruit (usually orange and apple), sugar and cinammon sticks, maybe mint (but these one is more common in white wine sangria).

7. MTB
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 15:52:41

Looks like an excellent start for our guests next week, especially with the added cinnamon stick from the commenter. I think I’ll use white GRAPE juice as shown in the picture as opposed to the white grapefruit juice typed in the recipe (typo maybe?). Cheers

8. Saturday Sangria: A Roundup! | Wine Kitz Pickering
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 09:24:17

[...] Summertime Sangria (with peach, plum and mint) from Smith & Ratliff wine suggestions: Riesling, Colombard Chardonnay or Pinot Blanc why? These whites have lively acidity and strong, well-balanced minerality which gives them a subtle fizziness that pairs well with sweeter fruits like peach and plum, and complements the freshness of the mint. Image by Smith & Ratlifffrom: http://smithratliff.com/ [...]

9. Lazy Sunday « raudette
    Aug 27, 2012 @ 01:46:04

[...] summertime sangria sweet little floral dress this amazing thread of tuna salad recipes how to make your own lampshade a panty party! the wise words of julia child the softest tees and tanks a perfect tote birthday cake pancakes [...]