The Summer Storm

Cocktail with Blueberry, Gin and Mint

In addition to the heat wave we’ve had the last week or so, New York has also been treated to a number of sudden, intense thunderstorms.

With the exception of Iggy—who hides under the bed at the first hint of thunder–we love sitting on the stoop or at the fire escape watching the storm brew. The only problem with these otherwise pleasant summer storms is that they don’t always bring along cooler temperatures.

Berries for sale at Union Square Greenmarket

I went to the Union Square Greenmarket only about an hour before yesterday’s rain started. I came home with fresh blueberries and right away, we knew they were the exact thing to base a cocktail on. We came up with this drink, the Summer Storm, as a way to both handle the heat and to pay homage to the stormy weather out the window.

Made with gin, blueberries, soda water and some mint from our fledgling garden, the Summer Storm is refreshing even when the sun is still shining.

Summer Cocktail with Blueberries

We puréed a handful of blueberries with a little bit of water, which is what gives the drink its blueberry flavor and intense color. Then, we put 1/2 oz. of fresh lime juice, a 1/2 oz. simple syrup and the blueberry purée in a shaker.

Add 2 oz. of gin and shake. Strain into a chilled Collins glass, top with soda and garnish with mint.

St. George Terroir Gin with Blueberries and Lime

We used St. George’s Terroir Gin, made in California—a souvenir from our trip to L.A. It gave the cocktail a nice earthy tone and we could almost taste the coastal waters that it was made near, although that might have just been the residual rain droplets.

- Ryan and Laura

1. erin
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 09:43:23

i’m a sucker for any kind of gin cocktail, but this one looks particularly delicious!

2. Roxy
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 09:51:21

yum! gin, my fave and summer blueberries + mint! love the packaging on that gin too!

3. natalie @ The SoHo
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 12:02:54

What a beauty and I love the name!

4. Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania
    Jun 26, 2012 @ 16:23:09

oooo that looks delish.

5. Dora Panariti
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 03:24:55

I hare gin (it is too sour for me) but for that I’d compromise!:p would it be tasty with vodka, too?

6. Ellie @ St. George Spirits
    Jun 27, 2012 @ 13:35:12

Beautiful cocktail! Blueberries (and other berries) nicely complement our Terroir Gin’s woodsy notes of Douglas fir, bay laurel, fennel, and coastal sage. @Dora, sure, vodka could work, but it’d be a more one-dimensional experience—lacking all those beautiful herbaceous notes that the botanicals bring to the picture. Many gin haters/skeptics are shocked at how much they like our gins. If you have the chance to try Terroir (or our Botanivore & Dry Rye Gin), we hope you’ll be similarly swayed by how lush and elegant gin can be.

7. The slow pace
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 02:29:50

Cocktails and Summer storms… that sounds like a perfect plan to me!

8. Cam
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 10:32:31

I love your blog. I have a similar one and aspire to one day look like yours. Your pictures are beautiful.

thenycdiet.blogspot.com

9. Amy
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 12:11:19

How convenient – I just purchased all of these ingredients at the market yesterday…

Yet another classic recipe!

xoxo,
    mon amy

10. Barbara | Creative Culinary
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 21:27:37

I did a very similar cocktail today called a Blueberry Smash…smash blueberries, lemon, lime and mint and then combine with vodka and St. Germain. We need rain so bad in Colorado I should have done a Blueberry Storm and a rain dance huh?

11. That's Refreshing!
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 15:51:58

[…] Elderflower champagne cocktail ~ Recipe ~ Photo: Zested; Blueberry Gin “Summer Storm” ~ Recipe ~ Photo: Ryan and Laura of Smith & Ratliff; Strawberry Margarita Spritzer ~ Recipe ~ Photo: […]

12. The Most Refreshing Summer Cocktail Recipes! | The Daily Quirk
    May 31, 2013 @ 11:11:14

[…] Serves One (Adapted from Smith & Ratliff) […]

13. [Blueberry cocktails 1: Blueberry infused vodka... | Oh So Yummy
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 18:38:35

[…] vodka lemonade from Keep It Simple Foods | 2: Blueberry buck fromBeyond the Plate | 3: The Summer Storm from Smith & […]

14. The Summer Storm | MBSIB: Last Call | Scoop.it
    Aug 20, 2013 @ 15:38:08

[…] "I went to the Union Square Greenmarket only about an hour before yesterday’s rain started. I came home with fresh blueberries and right away, we knew they were the exact thing to base a cocktail on. We came up with this drink, the Summer Storm, as a way to both handle the heat and to pay homage to the stormy weather out the window." http://buff.ly/14zcNsT  […]